Thursday, July 13, 2006

Music of Love



Music of Love - Hindustani Classical Music

In one form or another Hindustani Classical music Love is ultimately a common theme in compositions of Hindustani Classical music. With flavours ranging from Bhakti, Mamta, Vatsalya, Prema, Sneha - you can find them all.

This is an interesting Bandish composed by Pt. C R Vyas in Raga Bihag, where the lady love implores to the post-man, to take her lovelorn message to her Lover.
Drut Teental

Sthayi
Le jaa re jao, pathikava
(pls take my message, o messenger)
Itno sandesva piya ko
(this message, to my Lover)
Sukh chain mohe kachu na suhave
(without him, neither happiness, comfort nor anything else make sense)

Antara
Kijiye na mose niTurayi aisi
(pls tell him, not to be so hard-hearted)
Bega mil aao, daras ki pyasi
(pls ask him to meet me fast - I am longing to see him)
Bina 'Gunijaan' kaise sukh paave
(Poet Gunijaan: without him, how should I be happy?)

2 Comments:

Blogger Madhooo said...

Hi Smita, I am really glad to find a blog dedicated for hindustani classical music. Keep going.:))

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Smitha,

I had seen you perform at Oracle couple of times. It was really good. Glad to see you blogging about hindustanic classical. Nice to read about it from you.

-lohit

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home